its okay not to be perfect

its okay not to be perfect

I've been thinking of this self portrait all week, and now that it's done I don't think I can adequately express how content it makes me. It's not so much because of how I look, but because it's finally out of my mind and in front of me. This image has been haunting my thoughts, and it's such a relief to have it out. I wanted to explore how beautiful I could feel with nothing to hide behind: left over make-up from the day before, natural hair, bare shoulders.

Adolescence was tough on me, and by that I mean I was tough on me. I don't think anyone really knew how much I always compared myself to others. I always tried to be the best at whatever I could so that people could focus on that and my thousands of flaws could be overlooked. It was incessant--it still is incessant. I mean I've always had plenty of confidence but when my constant comparisons to others never went away, I think a bit of the sincerity in my confidence did. This image needed to get out of my head. As it flushes out of my system, I'm washing away the little voice that tells me I'm not good enough.

I'm happy with this photograph because it's imperfect and so am I.

Labels: ,