Because Feminism is Not Just For Women.

Because Feminism is Not Just For Women.


If you've been reading my blog for a while, you know by now that I've spoken a few times about feminism and it's importance for the health of our society. I've been trying to sit back and digest my thoughts the last couple days, and I realized that most of that was honestly me just being afraid to speak my mind. well, that's just stupid. so here goes.

In light of the Santa Barbara shooting, I've felt pretty heartbroken for the victims and their families. I also feel this heavy weight for women as a whole. I've spent a good amount of time reading through the #yesallwomen hashtag on twitter and it's been so incredible to see all sorts of women speak up. It was hard to see just how pervasive sexism, misogyny, and rape culture is. I'm trying to be optimistic, and I'm struggling a little bit.

Feminism is NOT just for women. It's not about overtaking men, and ruling the world with a purely female agenda. It's simply an advocacy for equality. In fact, with the patriarchal system we have now it seems the best way to illicit any sort of lasting change is to make sure that the issue is understood by the very people that hold all the power, men. Men need to understand that women deal with a LOT of issues simply because of their gender. There's a reason we walk with our keys between our fingers when we're alone, a reason I'm afraid to go running at night, there's a reason I text a friend to make sure I got home safe, a reason my dad was worried about me taking a cab alone from the airport in New York. This is why we ought to keep the discussion of gender issues going. This is why stories need to be shared, and issues addressed. Because to stay silent is to encourage an existing power system which is innately flawed.

I may be ranting, but since this is my blog, and my space to put my thoughts I'm most assuredly not going to apologize for that. Now tell me, please. your thoughts?

ps. If you're curious at all of what I've been reading/listing too.... this  video got me thinking a lot, and this Ted talk was also really great. Not to mention this article and this article


Labels: ,